Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Worst Xmas Present Ever

We do the Secret-Santa thing at work -- we each draw a name so we only have to buy one present instead of ten. It works really well, unless you get a present like a got.

I won't mention any names here to protect the innocent.

I opened my envelope to find a gift card to Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery. I had never heard of it but my co-worker told me it was downtown; she had eaten there before. I went home, excited to tell Joe that there was a great new place in town for us to try. We looked up their website to find the address, and low and behold, there are no locations in Utah. We thought: "Maybe it's BRAND new and not on their map yet."

I explained the dilemma to my co-worker the next day, hoping she could tell me exactly where it was. All she could come up with was, "I know there is one here! I ate there two years ago!" She looked online and found Rockbottom in Midvale, but for those of you have been to this dive bar, you know it's no restaurant and brewery.

Long story short, she got Rock Bottom confused with Red Rock! She bought it at Smith's, a national grocery chain that sells gift cards to places that aren't necessarily in SLC. She saw "beer" and "food" and knew I would love it.

I'm sure there will be a happy ending to this story at some point. There are tons of locations in Colorado, so Joe and I will try to use in when we go there in March. Or, I might try to exchange it at Smith's for a different restaurant. So E., thanks for the card, and thanks for a funny story!!

1 comment:

  1. Update on this gift: We found it a good home in Minneapolis with Joe's brother!

    ReplyDelete