Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 1: The worst food I ever ate

The worst food I ever ate was a kumquat. Have you ever had one of these things? They are so disgusting. They look so pretty, like tiny oranges, but it's all a facade to trick you into eating them. The one I ate was served for dessert at a Chinese restaurant in New York City. Why couldn't they just give me a damn fortune cookie? I remember that it tasted sweet, sour, and bitter all at the same time. It reminded me of Pulparindo, that Mexican candy that is made from tamarind, which is also disgusting. My mouth is puckering up just thinking about it, and it was over 10 years ago! I thought the kumquat had gone bad, but my grandma swore it was supposed to taste like that. Wikipedia says, "The peel has a sweet flavor but the fruit has a sour center," so I guess it WAS supposed to taste that way, but it was foul. Wikipedia also says, "The fruit can be eaten raw but is mainly used to make marmalade and jelly." There is a reason people don't eat it raw. Cause it's nasty. It needs all that sugar to make it edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment