Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 5: My favorite recipe

Well I might not say it's my favorite recipe of all time, but it's my favorite this week, because it won me the "Most Creative" prize at our office bake-off!

Cake Pops (a.k.a. Cake Balls)
1. Bake a cake.

2. Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes.

3. Crumble the cake into a large bowl (use a hand mixer to crumble very finely).

4. Stir in 3/4 -- 1 can of frosting (depending how creamy you want it).

5. Blend with a hand mixer until a dough forms.

6. Chill the mixture in the fridge for about 30 min (this makes the next step easier).

7. Roll the dough into balls. Place on wax paper on a cookie sheet. (I use a melonballer so my balls are consistently-sized).

8. Freeze the balls for many hours (otherwise they will get crumbly and fall apart in step 9).

9. Dip the balls in melted chocolate.

10. Enjoy!!


The first time I made them, I had a hard time getting the chocolate to coat the whole ball evenly. It was really bugging me because I wanted them to be perfect. The next time I made them, I put sticks in each ball (hence the name "pops" this time) and it was MUCH easier to dip because you don't have to worry about 100% coverage. I won't do them
without sticks now.

You can use any flavor of cake/frosting/chocolate that you like. I tried white cake/chocolate frosting/white chocolate as a trial run before the bake-off. Then for the bake-off, I used red velvet cake/cream cheese frosting/white chocolate. They were a huge hit both times! The next flavor I want to try is key lime, and I might coat with salt.

You could also use various toppings or decorations for added pizazz. I did U of U for the bake-off. I heard about someone else rolling the balls in crushed candy bars. I also heard about someone who decorated each pop like an owl for her daughter's birthday party at the aviary. Cute!!


It was easier for me to break the process into two nights. Day 1: bake the cake, forms balls, and freeze all night. Day 2: dip in chocolate. Sounds labor-intensive, but it was really simple that way. We also found that the pops tend to taste better the next day. Overall summary: easy, cheap, popular, and delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment