Friday, April 8, 2011

Oh, the things Little Sisters say

I first started volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah in 2009. My first little sister, Alexis, and I were perfectly matched. We had a fun-filled year of drinking coffee, watching hockey fights, cooking, and sharing music recommendations. She was just a normal teenage girl with normal teenage interests, attitudes, and problems. Our official match ended when she moved to Arizona with her dad last year, but we're still in touch.

My new Little, Alivia, is a different story. I think BBBSU gave me the hardest kid they have because I'm now an "experienced" Big, or because I'm a social worker, or maybe just because I'm a sucker. I won't spout her personal life all over the internet, but suffice it to say, she is quite a challenge and she needs a lot of help.

Despite the difficult times with Liv, there have been some darn fun and hilarious moments. Here are a select few:

  • In the movie "Little Fockers," there is the briefest moment in which they show Greg's mom holding a ball gag while on the set of her sex advice show. Liv says loudly and proudly, "I know what that is! It's a sex toy for lesbians!"
  • Joe has been doing some work on the ceiling in our living room. Liv asked about it the first time she came to my house. The first thing she did when she came over the following weekend was look straight up at the ceiling to check Joe's progress. She exclaimed in a bratty voice, as if she knew all along what she would find, "Well....looks the same....except....two write stripes of....clay." I wish I could get away with saying that to Joe with the same amount of attitude!


  • While driving around town one day, we were getting some unwanted attention from the guys in the car next to us. Liv was grossed-out yet enthralled. I told her, "Don't worry about them -- guys are weird and do stuff like that all the time," to which she replied, "Yeah especially to girls with big tits. No offense."

Here's a pic of our team for the annual Bowl for Kids Sake fundraiser event. Left to right: Joe, Trisha, Alivia, Kyle, and Devyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment